Daily English·Sore loser
1. Hi Kiele.
2. Hi Reaf.
3. How was your weekend.
4. Just like usual, you know. How about you?
5. Well, a couple of my friends came to my house and had a party.
6. Oh yes? And what did you guys play?
7. Well we had a BBQ together and after that, we played cards.
8. It seems that you are not so happy to mention that?
9. Yes, you know what? There was one guy that spoiled the whole night.
10. How come?
11. Well, he really had a bad luck that day. And he lost almost every game.
12. Oh, well that’s fine. It’s a game, it shouldn’t be such a tragedy to lose.
13. Yes, that’s what everybody thought about it - except him! At first he was just a little bit dumb, but suddenly he shouted at all of us and said there was cheating taking place. He is such a sore loser, isn’t he?
14. Certainly he is. He really is a loser.
15. Oh, no that’s not what I mean. You didn’t notice the word Sore.
16. Oh, any different?
17. Yes. Sore means somebody is roused to anger.
18. You mean getting angry easily?
19. Exactly. And loser, as you know is somebody who loses game or loses other things.
20. Ah, so sore loser describes not the fact that he lost the game, but that he is an easily-annoyed person.
21. And nobody would like to play with that kind of person.
22. Yes, so don't be a sore loser, just try your best.